How To Install A Glass Tile Backsplash
In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva demonstrates a fast, no-fuss way to tile a kitchen backsplash.
1. Snap a chalk line onto the backsplash wall 5½ inches above the countertop.
2. Use a utility knife and steel-rule straightedge to cut five ⅜-inch-wide strips of tile adhesive. Notch the adhesive strips, if necessary, to fit around obstacles.
3. Peel off the protective membrane from the back of the tile-adhesive strips and press them to the wall just below the chalk line.
4. Cut the glass-tile sheets into 5½-inch-wide strips by slicing through the mesh on the back of the sheets with a utility knife. Repeat to cut enough tile to cover the backsplash wall.
5. Use a wet saw to square-cut the end of the first glass-tile strip. Allow the tile strip to dry completely before proceeding.
6. Peel off the protective membrane from the tile adhesive on the wall.
7. Lay the steel rule on the countertop and up against the backsplash wall to create an even grout-joint space beneath the tile.
8. Lightly set the first tile sheet into place against the tile adhesive. Once satisfied with its positioning, firmly press the tile to the wall. Repeat to install the remaining tile sheets.
9. Next, apply 1½-inch-wide masking-tape strips along the top and bottom edges of the tile backsplash, and to the sink faucet.
10. Use a rubber float to force premixed tile grout into the joints between the tiles on the backsplash wall. Scrape away excess grout from the countertop with a margin trowel.
11. Allow the grout to firm up for about 10 minutes, and then wipe the tiled surface clean with a sponge and clean water. Peel off the masking tape.
12. Wait about 5 hours for the grout to harden, then use a slightly dampened cotton cloth to buff off any hazy grout residue from the tiled surface.
Comments are closed.
Ameritex Apt. Movers, Inc.
All Rights Reserved | Privacy
3209 W. Hunter Ferrell Rd.
Irving, TX 75060
817-577-4100 Fort Worth
TXDMV No. 006271846C | USDOT No. 1074979
Monday 8am - 6:00 pm
Tuesday 8am - 6:00 pm
Wednesday 8am - 6:00 pm
Thursday 8am - 6:00 pm
Friday 8am - 6:00 pm
Saturday 8am - 4:30 pm
Sunday OFFICE CLOSED
© COPYRIGHT 2017. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.